to prepare for the AP english exam my teacher makes us do journals every week-usually on a topic that can be turned into an arguement essay since that is one of the essay types we have to write in the exam. after writing our journals we have a discussion in the class on what we think about the topic. Usually i just write half-heartedly to get it over with and don't contribute much/listen to the discussions. but last weeks journal and discussion were really interesting. our journal was on whether or not we should have the post office. at first, i didn't think much of it. i don't mind the post office-i really like getting letters (even though it doesn't happen to often) but there's something about a hand-written letter that i just love. maybe it's that you know the person took time to hand-write the letter instead of type it but it always just seems more special than an email. ya know? after listening to others ideas on the topic i realized how much our society would start changing. a world without the post office- no hand written letters, no catalogs, all bills being paid online, emailing to get in touch with someone. i don't like it at all. our english class started talking about how once the post office is gone, it puts other things into motion such as less published books. this one really got me. i love reading, i love having a tangible book, being able to physically see how far i have read. not by some percent (like on the nooks) which really tells me nothing. which btw the library just opened-it's awesome. if there's ever a time where you can't find me, i'm probs there.
and i know change is a constant thing but i don't want this change. i just want to read books that i can physically hold, i want to be excited to see all our family friends' christmas card pictures each year, and i want to write and recieve hand-written letters, is that too much to ask?
I'm with you on the post office thing. And as much as I love my laptop and all my gadgets, I love writing and receiving notes. They kept me going when I was so sick. And I love a physical book too, and I especially love taking it to the beach and getting sand in the pages :)
ReplyDeleteyes exactly! i'm right there with you :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, letters and all that are good, I have that bias in the sense that my father works at that post office, so I agree with that
ReplyDelete